7 Breastfeeding Hacks
7 Breastfeeding Hacks
That Will Make You Feel Like Super Mom!
When a baby is born many moms just assume it’ll come naturally, and be simple. But most new moms (and experienced moms) discover breastfeeding to be anything but easy! And boy is it painful!
Nursing is a joy, and a wonderful time to bond with the baby. Babies need the constant contact and affection, and breastfeeding is a great way to do both at once. Whether you EBF or pump, or a combination of both, there are some really great breastfeeding hacks you have to try. They will save you both time, and sanity!
Women who pump have so many options to help them be successful. Pumping can be a chore, and worse yet cleaning the breast pump can be cumbersome. For working moms trying to sustain their breastfeeding journey, pumping is the only way to go. To help make the journey a bit easier for moms everywhere, I have compiled a list of the Top 7 Breastfeeding Hacks to make your breastfeeding adventure as successful as possible.
1. Milk Cubes – I would be willing to bet you’ve never even thought to put breast milk in an ice cube tray, but this is a genius trick to make milk cubes that the baby can suck on using a mesh baby feeder. For babies that can hold something and work on it, this is brilliant to keep them occupied. The biggest drawback to this idea is that if you put milk in a regular ice cube tray in the freezer, you are risking contamination with bacteria from it being open and exposed. You can take the tray and put it into a freezer bag first, and then pop it in the freezer to prevent that from being an issue…OR better yet you can get the ice cube trays with silicone covers to keep it air tight, and prevent contamination.
2. Pump both sides at the same time – Pumping both at once allows for higher milk production possible and the least amount of time spent doing so. A double pump will cost you more than a single pump, but that little bit difference in price is well worth it. Especially if you pump often and daily. Pumping is a great way to keep your supply up, while at the same time allowing yourself the ability to leave the house without the baby if you need to. Sometimes nursing can feel overwhelming and cumbersome because the baby literally only wants you! But with pumping you can allow someone else to help out with feedings, which can really be a lifesaver!
3. Milk savers are your best friend! – These awesome little puppies didn’t exist when my babies were little enough to nurse. They are a brilliant way to save your milk and not leak all over yourself. When the baby is nursing on one side, you can catch the milk from the other side to save it and freeze for a later use. This way you won’t dribble all over your clothes, bra, or baby. These are just so cool, I cannot believe it took women this long to think of them!
4. Nursing covers – Nursing covers are cute, convenient, and stress-free way of nursing in public. There is something so positively stressful about trying to breastfeed a baby in public without flashing everyone around you. Covers slip over your head and can adjust to whatever amount of privacy you want. You can nurse outside without worrying about your blanket blowing off, or anywhere without the threat of the baby yanking it off to have a look around. They always seem to do that little trick when you least expect it!
5. Nursing Beads – Babies have this instinct to grab and pull. Even as a newborn your baby is likely to grab onto your hair, necklace or anything they can get their tiny little fingers on, and pull hard. Nursing beads are great for being a safe, durable item baby can chew on, suck on, pull and just entertain themselves with, while mom still looks stylish and put together.
6. Nipple Balm – Nursing can really take a toll on your skin. It’s very common for women to get dry, cracked and sometimes even bloody nipples. Eek! Ouch! This can be so painful, especially right after delivery when you are so engorged and sore to begin with. Nipple balm drastically helps to heal the skin and sooth the pain. This is totally safe for the baby to ingest, which is totally likely considering.
7. Pumping Bra – Standing around holding your breast pump is no way to spend your day. A pumping bra is so convenient and allows for a hands free pumping session. You could literally work on the computer, talk on the phone, pump and chew gum all at the same time. Genius! The bras work with nearly any pump you may have, and allow you to discretely pump anywhere.
Breastfeeding should be a time you enjoy, and look back on fondly. With proper support and help, nursing should be a wonderful journey for mom and baby. These 7 nursing hacks can make your life a little easier, and isn’t that the most coveted thing in life right now!?!? Anything that can be less stressful than it has to be is ultimately the goal.
Do you have a nursing hack to share? Comment below!